Fasting Day 7: We Need Divine Direction (Prayers for Guidance)
David said to Abiathar the priest, Ahimelech’s son, “Please bring me the ephod.” So Abiathar brought him the ephod.
David inquired of the Lord, saying, “Shall I pursue this band of raiders? Will I overtake them?”
And He answered him, “Pursue, for you will certainly overtake them, and you will certainly rescue the captives.” – 1 Samuel 30: 7-8
It’s fasting day 7.
Please note the following
- For the guideline and up to date information for this fast, read: Fasting Day 1
- Fasting Day 2
- Fasting Day 3
- Fasting Day 4
- Fasting Day 5
- Fasting Day 6
- To send a prayer request to us this season, click here
- For easier access to our daily and weekly prayers, subscribe here
- Please like our Facebook page and share this post
Please continue to follow the direction of this fast. As we continue to study the WORD of God, pray and wait on the LORD, His grace for victory and all-around restoration is released in our lives in Jesus Name.
From today’s reading, we are reminded of the importance of divine direction in our lives.
The situation that David and his people found themselves was so devastating. The right thing was to set on a mission to chase the enemies immediately they came back to town and noticed what happened. But no. David needed to seek divine direction first.
Because “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.” (Proverbs 14:12).
If we are going to recover all that the enemy has stolen from us in the past, and have constant victory subsequently, then we need to pray for God’s direction like David did.
As humans, we sometimes think that if we pray for direction, that God may not allow us to do something, or that He may make our lives dull, slow and boring. Unfortunately, that’s not true. If you look at the scripture above, you’ll see that David asked two questions
- Shall I pursue them?
- Will I overtake them?
As long as David was concerned, he only wanted to go kill those guys. But God responded saying…
- Pursue them
- Overrun them
- Recover all
The recovery part did not cross David’s mind. If he didn’t seek the LORD, he may have gone with his own program thinking that was the ultimate. But God didn’t just want him to defeat those raiders. He wanted him to recover all they took as well.
Seeking God’s direction is for our own good.
In fact, if there is a time we need direction from God in our daily lives, it is now.
The world is increasingly becoming a dangerous place to live. Many sound plans and seemingly bullet-proof ideas and recommendations are failing, and people are getting more and more confused.
In Romans 9:16, the scripture clearly says, “it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.”
“The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill.”
Without divine direction, we’ll fall into many pits of the devil.
So today, we’re going to go before God and remind Him that we need His direction in every aspect of our lives this year. We’re going to ask Him to forgive all our hasty decisions of the past and plead for divine restoration regarding any consequence being executed in our lives and families right now as result of neglecting His direction for our lives.
Then we’re going to present our plans, business ideas, New Year goals, things you are thinking of doing about your career, etc. before the LORD.
As we present them to the LORD, we’ll ask Him to take over these plans and direct us on the right path.
Read, Mediate and Declare
John 10:27 – My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
Psalm 25:12: Who, then, are those who fear the Lord? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.
Psalm 23:1-6: The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside quiet waters,
Proverbs 3: 5-6 – Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding.
In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths.
- “Father LORD, I thank THEE for You are my Shepherd. You will guide me in the right paths for Your name’s sake. You will instruct me in the ways that I should choose.
You will guide me always; and will satisfy my needs even in difficult times and hard places; and will strengthen my innermost being.
You will make me like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. (Isaiah 58:11).
I honor and praise THEE for Your will is to guide me and give me direction at all times, in Jesus name.
- I therefore pray this day O LORD; I ask that You forgive me in every way I have tried to run my life without acknowledging YOU.
Forgive me for all the wrong and hasty decisions I have taken in the past without allowing You to make any input.
How often have I made choices out of my own ways; hence have suffered severe consequences and even failed and got trapped on occasions.
Today, LORD, I surrender to THEE and declare that henceforth, YOU be the pilot of my affairs and lead me in the paths ordained for me in YOUR will.
Whatever I have suffered in my family, life, business and career, or lost, as a result of taking decisions that were not of You in the past, please LORD, I ask You to restore them to me hundredfold, in Jesus name.
- Henceforth O LORD, I confess that I am not able to provide proper direction for my life in this confused world.
I therefore remind THEE that I will always need THEE every day of my life in taking decisions in my family, place of work, ministry, business and in fact, all aspects of my life.
I ask, LORD, that the Holy Spirit will always remind me to acknowledge You at all times and provide me with guidance and direction when I need it, in Jesus name.
- Even now, O LORD, I lean on THEE and thy promises for my life, and therefore bring up these entire plans I have for my life, family, career, business and ministry before THEE.
LORD, look at all that I am planning to do, and thinking to carry out. Here they are:
(Tell the LORD your plans)
Now O LORD, I pray, how do I go about all these?
You said that Your sheep hear your voice in John 10:27.
So LORD, right now, speak to me and guide me in taking the right decisions that will bring Glory to Your name and safety to your people, in Jesus name.
- “LORD, I trust THEE according to Proverbs 3:5-6 and hereby lean not unto my own understanding. I acknowledge YOU in all these plans O LORD, and ask according to THY Word, direct my paths, in Jesus name. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- LORD, You said in James 1:5 that if any lack wisdom, let him ask, and You will give Him.
Lord, I confess that I lack the wisdom to make the best out of my life and achieve these plans I have tabled before THEE.
I confess that I don’t know the right decision to take without Your help.
I confess that I cannot lead myself to the right place in this career, business, relationship, and others.
O LORD, please lead me and give me wisdom to decide rightly, in Jesus name
- “O LORD, You said in 1 John 5:14 “this is the confidence that we have in YOU, that, if we ask anything according to YOUR will, that YOU hear us.
“You also said in Isaiah 30:21 that my ears shall hear a word behind me, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when I turn to the right hand, and when I turn to the left.
“According to Your Word, LORD, my desire for Your guidance and direction is according to Your will.
So I ask You now to Speak to me and bring to my knowledge the way that I should walk in this matter, in Jesus name.
- “Holy Spirit, please teach me even now and at all times. I put my trust in You and believe that You will help me navigate through this moment and all glory will be to the LORD Jesus Christ, in Jesus name.”
- “Thank You Heavenly Father,
Thank You, LORD Jesus.
Thank You, Holy Spirit.
As I lay me down right now in quietness, let me receive Your instruction, ideas, insights, visions, and strategies to follow regarding all these and more that You plan for my life, in Jesus name.
- I believe that You will answer and show me great and mighty things which I do not know, for I have called unto THEE according to Jeremiah 33:3; and I take solace in Your Word, in Jesus name.