32 And what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: 33 who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, became valiant in battle, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. – Heb. 11:32.
Welcome to the month of August.
The Lord has a lot in store for us this month. But let us begin with special lessons from David’s battle with Goliath. I believe that God will inspire you with these lessons and your victory will be made manifest this month.
David is mentioned more times in the Bible than any other Biblical character. He is the greatest of all Israel’s kings and leaders. His whole life was a life of faith and dependence on God. Many of the events in his life teach amazing lessons for living and relationship with God, which we can apply today. One of such events which demonstrate a great act of faith and courage in God is his combat with Goliath. What is the Holy Spirit teaching us from that story?
1. The Size of the Opposition Does Not Matter
4 And a champion went out from the camp of the Philistines, named Goliath, from Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span.
5 He had a bronze helmet on his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail, and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of bronze.
6 And he had bronze armor on his legs and a bronze javelin between his shoulders. 7 Now the staff of his spear was like a weaver’s beam, and his iron spearhead weighed six hundred shekels, and a shield-bearer went before him. – 1 Sam. 17:4-7
Why did the Bible take time to describe the size and armaments of Goliath?
It’s to show us that he wasn’t a pushover. By all standards, he was a ready man of war with years of experience fighting battles. His height, history, and unique arms intimidated every soldier, so much that no one dared to confront him.
Thankfully, David thought differently. He didn’t consider the physical attributes of the man. He focused on the fact that the man was not a covenant son, so it didn’t matter his size and weapons, he was a loser.
When we are faced with battles and oppositions, learn not to look at the size of the situation. Focus on the size of your God and remember that every enemy or opposition outside the covenant cannot stand you.
2. Understand the Silent Message of the Enemy
8 Then he stood and cried out to the armies of Israel, and said to them, “Why have you come out to line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and you the servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves, and let him come down to me.
9 If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will be your servants. But if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall be our servants and serve us.”
10 And the Philistine said, “I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together.” 11 When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid. – 1 Sam. 17:8-11
Every enemy and opposition we face in life carries a silent message. It is that unspoken message that they are trying to sell. If we buy the message we surrender our victory.
Goliath’s silent message was fear. Everything he did, his dressing, words, and appearance, was to send fear on his opponents. The moment he can get them afraid, he knows they’ve lost.
Discern the message your oppositions, crisis, and challenges are trying to sell. Most times, it is fear; sometimes, it is hopelessness; other times, it is intended to make you conclude that God is not good.
When we reject these silent messages, we ultimately disarm the enemy. It would only be a matter of time before the enemy finally falls.
3. See Problems as Opportunities
The Israelites saw Goliath as a big problem. David saw him as a big opportunity. The Bible says in verse 15 of 1 Samuel chapter 17 that “David occasionally went and returned from Saul to feed his father’s sheep at Bethlehem.”
This suggests someone who secretly admired the military.
He would take food to his brothers, loiter around and observe the men as they trained and discussed like warriors. He must have always thought, “This is where I belong.” But because he was still young and coupled with family issues, he would go back to the bush to tend his sheep.
So when the Goliath situation emerged, he saw a big opportunity to join the military. While everyone else was seeing a mighty giant who has an unbeaten record, David saw a great opportunity to fulfil his dream.
There are hidden opportunities in every problem. When confronted with situations that look dire and mire, ask the Holy Spirit to show you the opportunities in the circumstances. It may take time to discern, but if you persist enough, you will find them.
4. Weigh the Returns
David did not just see Goliath, and zealously decided to fight him. He asked some questions and learned some things.
26 Then David spoke to the men who stood by him, saying, “What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?” 27 And the people answered him in this manner, saying, “So shall it be done for the man who kills him.” – 1 Sam. 17:26-27
David was applying wisdom here. If the rewards are not worth it, then he’d better save his time and energy.
Some issues will only zap your strength and waste your time. Learn to discern them and refuse to get yourself entangled.
Don’t embark on fights and battles that will not bring eternal benefits in the long run. There are some things to ignore and just move on with your life.
5. Remember Your Past Victories
David finally got an audience with King Saul. But he needed to convince the king that this was not a suicide mission. How would he do that? Well, he remembered his past victories. They weren’t as big as the situation they faced in Goliath, but he was confident.
34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep his father’s sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, 35 I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it.
36 Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God.” – 1 Sam.l 17:34-36
King Saul must have thought, “Wow! This sounds great. Let us give this boy a chance.”
David’s message here was simple: If God has done it in the past, He will do it again and again.
And he was right.
When we face problems, we often get so caught up with whatever it is that we forget the good times of the past. But it doesn’t have to be so.
Learn to remind yourself of past victories, answers to prayers, and testimonies. If God was good to you then and delivered you, then He will do it again and again.
6. Let God Be the Reason
David did not for once think that Goliath would fall because of his skills, education, or strength. He put his trust totally in God. He said,
“The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.”
God who did it before will do it again. That was his confidence. And this ought to be our confidence also, not in our skills, abilities, and connections. You know why? Because our skills, contacts, and abilities can fail. But God will never fail.
7. Listen to the Voice of the Spirit in your heart
When King Saul finally decided to give David a chance to fight Goliath, he dressed him in his armor.
38 Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail.
39 David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, “I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them.” So David took them off. – 1 Sam 17:38-39
Saul projected that he was doing David great respect and assistance by clothing him with his personal armor. Unfortunately, they were too heavy for David. He took them off and went for the most unlikely weapons: five smooth stones.
But who told David to pick stones? Why didn’t he ask for armor that was his size? Where did he get such an idea from?
I believe the Holy Spirit inspired his heart on what weapons were needed for the battle. He led him to go for the most improbable weapons of warfare then so that his victory will be entirely of the Lord.
The Holy Spirit will inspire our hearts on what to do and what we can use to defeat our oppositions, solve our problems, and obtain breakthroughs.
Trust the Holy Spirit to guide you when there is a Goliath-like situation before you. Ask Him for the right tools to use. And if He guides you towards the most unlikely tools, remember that David used five smooth stones – the most awkward, unconventional weapon of warfare in his time – but it did the job because God’s anointing was on it.
8. Declare the Word and Strike
When David finally came face to face with Goliath, he declared:
45 “…You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46 This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. 47 Then all this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the Lord’s, and He will give you into our hands.” – 1Samuel 17:45-47
David declared God’s word in the face of the giant. This triggered a spiritual riot against the forces of the Philistines. The giant was disarmed and overcome. Then David fired his stone, and it found its way into the unprotected forehead of the Philistine giant. And before everyone, the giant fell, dead.
Physically speaking, the giant was wearing a helmet, and helmets protect the head of soldiers in a battle. How was David’s stone able to find its way into Goliath’s forehead?
You see, when we declare the word of God before our giants and oppositions, we spiritually disarm them and make them defenseless.
That was what happened in the case of Goliath. God’s Word from the mouth of David disarmed him, removed all his defenses, and pulled the stone towards his forehead.
The Word of God is our protection and also our attack weapon. Continually declare the Word over your giants, and before you know it, they are down and out.
Prayers to Command the Month of August
- Father, I thank You for the month of August. Thank You for protecting and preserving my life and family. To You be glory forever and ever, in Jesus name.
- O Lord, forgive me in any way I have fallen into sin in the past. Forgive me in any way I have let fear decide my walk with You. Forgive me in any way I have disobeyed Your instructions in my heart, in Jesus name.
- This month O Lord, empower me to walk in holiness, in love, and in faith, in Jesus name.
- O Lord, let every spirit of doubt, unbelief and disobedience, in my life, be consumed by Your fire, in Jesus’ name.
- I decree today that August will be blessed for me and my household. Our going out shall be a blessing and our coming back shall be a blessing. Our labor shall produce abundant results, in Jesus name.
- Every unjust burden and pain in my life and family, be lifted today and never return again, in Jesus name
- O Lord, when adverse situations confront me, remind me that there are opportunities in every problem. By the Holy Spirit, teach me and open my eyes to discover the benefits to exploit in every challenge I face, in Jesus name.
- Today, I reject the voices of fear, hopelessness, and spiritual rebellion. I silence the hidden voices of the enemy in my mind and replace every fear with courage and power, in Jesus name.
- I declare that I shall not fear or worry this month, for I have the Spirit of boldness, of Love and of a sound mind, in Jesus name.
- This month, O Lord, I receive wisdom to stay away from issues and battles with no Godly and eternal benefits, in Jesus name.
- When I face crisis and problems, Lord, remind me of Your faithfulness and deliverance in the past. And may such memories ignite a new faith in me, in Jesus name.
- Every power speaking against my health, speaking against my progress, speaking against my marriage and family, and speaking against my finances, today, I arrest bundle you into the abyss in Jesus name.
- Today, I pass a decree against every situation standing like a giant before me. In the name of Jesus Christ, I command them to cease from existence.
- I decree today that I have the power to walk in daily victory and overcome every opposition against God’s purpose for my life.
- The grace of God is sufficiently at work in me and will keep me safe, protected, free from sin, and blessed every day, in Jesus name.
The month of August, I decree it blessed, in Jesus name
New Book Alert
This post was culled from the Book,
Give Orders to the Day – July – September: Daily Meditations and Prophetic Declarations for All Round Victory, Protection, Healing, and Breakthrough (Daily Power Book 3)
This is the third volume in the series, Give Orders to the Day (GOTTD), covering July to September, the third quarter of the year.
These powerful teachings and daily prophetic declarations are designed to empower you to take charge of your day, encounter God in a powerful way, and experience daily breakthrough.
- How to Pray for Your Family
- How to Pray for Your Children
- Like Us on Facebook
- Join our Facebook Prayer Group
- Submit a Prayer Request
- Pray for Others
New Audiobooks Alert
Deliverance by Fire: 21 Days of Intensive Word Immersion, and Fire Prayers for Total Healing, Deliverance, Breakthrough, and Divine Intervention.
This audiobook is a 21-day fasting and prayer guide for all-around deliverance and breakthroughs. These teachings and prayers will touch every aspect of your life and provoke great transformations. Your health will be restored. Your finances will be healed, and you will experience breakthroughs. You will find a job. Your home will experience a great spiritual transformation, and your marriage will be restored. You will experience great peace.
Command Your Money: Powerful Keys to Provoke Financial Breakthrough | 10 Simple Actions of Faith That Will Provoke Financial Breakthrough for Anyone in 30 Days or Less
Ten simple actions of faith that will provoke financial breakthrough for anyone in 30 days or less. No fluff, no long stories, practical and provoking biblical instructions for dealing with urgent money problems.
Are you currently embroiled in a financial situation? Do you need a breakthrough asap? Are you looking for simple-to-follow instructions that will trigger a financial breakthrough for you very quickly? Then get home tonight, close your door, and begin to apply these spiritual instructions, and you’ll see miracles happen in your finances asap. More importantly, you’ll have the wisdom to move forward financially.
All Audio Books Now Available
To See all my Over 20 Audiobooks now available, Click Here. Below are some of them specifically. I am sure that these books will bless you.
- 120 Powerful Night Prayers that Will Change Your Life
- 28 Days of Praise Challenge: Dealing With Your Fears and Battles Through Intentional Praise
- Anger Management God’s Way: Bible Ways to Control Your Emotions, Get Healed of Hurts & Respond to Offenses …Plus Powerful Daily Prayers to Overcome Bad Anger Permanently
- By His Stripes: God’s Promises & Prayers for Healing
- Deliverance of the mind: Powerful Prayers to Deal With Mind Control, Fear, Anxiety, Depression, Anger and Other Negative Emotions.
- Healing Words: Daily Confessions & Declarations to Activate Your Healing
- How God Speaks to You: An ABC Guide to Hearing the Voice of God & Following His Direction for Your Life
- How to Exercise Authority Over Sickness: Authoritative Prayers and Declarations for Personal Healing, and Healing of Your Loved Ones
- How to Meditate on God’s Word: Fast and Easy Ways to Practice Intentional Bible Meditation and Grow in Faith, Worship, and Prayer
- Prayers to Find a Godly Spouse: Meditations, Prophetic Declarations and Biblical Foundation for Finding a Life Partner
- Praying the Promises of God for Daily Blessings and Breakthrough
- Take it By Force: 200 Violent Prayers for Deliverance, Healing and Financial Breakthrough
- Under His Shadow: God’s Promises and Prayers for Protection
- When God Is Silent: What to Do When Prayers Seems Unanswered or Delayed
- Beside the Still Waters: God’s Promises and Prayers for Guidance and Direction | Learn to Know the Will of God & Make Right Decisions
- Less Panic More Hope: God’s Promises and Prayers to Overcome Fear, Anxiety, and Depression – Scriptures and Prayers for Mental Health
- How to Pray for Your Family: Plus Over 70 Prayers for Your Family’s Salvation, Healing, Restoration, and Breakthrough
- Prayers that Break Curses: Everything You Need to Know About Curses, and Powerful Prayers to Stop All Kinds of Curses
- 20 Commonly Asked Questions About Demons: Answers You Need to Bind and Cast Out Demons, Heal the Sick, and Experience Breakthrough
- Deliverance by Fire: 21 Days of Intensive Word Immersion, and Fire Prayers for Total Healing, Deliverance, Breakthrough, and Divine Intervention.
- Command Your Money: Powerful Keys to Provoke Financial Breakthrough | 10 Simple Actions of Faith That Will Provoke Financial Breakthrough for Anyone in 30 Days or Less