Culled from my book, Prayers that Break Curses
Please Note the Fasting Details
- To read the instructions for this fast, how to pray, when to pray, and other information, kindly read, Deliverance by Fire Prayers, Day 1
- Get the book, DELIVERANCE BY FIRE for complete teachings and prayers of each day.
- To send a prayer request to us this season, click here
- To pray for others, Click here
- For easier access to our daily and weekly prayers, subscribe here
- Like our Facebook page and share this post
- Join our Facebook Prayer Group, BreakThrough Prayers Foundation.
Please continue to follow the direction of this fast. As we continue to study the WORD of God, pray and wait on the LORD, His grace for victory and all-around restoration is released in our lives in Jesus Name.
Have you ever wondered why the first commandment with a promise attached to it has to do with our relationship with our parents? The Book of Ephesians 6:1-3 says, “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. ‘Honor your father and mother,’ which is the first commandment with promise: ‘that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.’”
A parent’s love is the strongest and most enduring love that exists in the world, except God’s love. In the scriptures, children always craved the blessings of their parents. I’ve asked myself many times, “why would these men value ordinary pronouncements from their parents – especially their fathers – so much as to struggle for it?”
But the answer is simple:
Parental pronouncements create potent forces that accompany us all through our lives, working out good or evil. If they are positive pronouncements, they produce good outcomes; and if they are negative pronouncements, they create problems. This is a divine principle. You can’t change it. I can’t change it.
Your parents are not just ordinary fellows. They have God-given powers to influence the outcomes of your life with their words or thoughts.
And yes, your parents here does not just mean your biological parents. They include anyone with parental authority over you – such as your stepdad or mum, adopted parents, and guardians who are seeing you through life. You need their blessings.
Don’t Play With Parental Blessings
Yes, our parents may not always be right, but dishonoring and causing them pain creates problems for us eventually. You can disagree with your parents over certain issues without letting it become a problem. For example, it’s your right to decide who to marry, where to worship, where to live, and jobs to take as an adult. Some times, some parents want to dictate these things. If what they are saying is not what you want, you can disagree, but it shouldn’t turn into crisis.
The Bible says: Whoever curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in deep darkness (Proverbs 20:20). The Amplified Bible renders this verse thus: ‘Whoever curses his father or his mother, his lamp of life will be extinguished in time of darkness.’ While the Living Bible says: ‘God puts out the light of the man who curses his father or mother.’
Dishonoring your parents, hurting them, or mistreating them, puts you in enmity with God. That is, God will be the one fighting you. You’ll fast, pray, have hands laid on you, yet the problem doesn’t get solved, because God is the one responsible for what you’re going through – as a result of maltreating your parents.
This is one of the biggest mysteries I’ve seen working against many people, including Christians. You can’t treat your parents like they’re nothing and expect life to be fair to you. I was praying with a lady some time ago and was inspired to tell her to call her mother and ask for her prayers and blessings. She later said to me, “When I called my mom and told her I was calling to ask her forgiveness and blessings, she was stunned. After all said and done, she told me I did the right thing, and therefore it would be well with me.”
“But pastor,” she continued. “I never expected that my mom had some unsaid grievances against me. I thought all was well all these years.”
Sometimes we have maltreated our parents, and out of love, they kept it all inside themselves. They never spoke out. Unfortunately, these actions of disrespect trigger spiritual curses to operate.
The Bible says:
Cursed is anyone who dishonors their father or mother. Then all the people shall say, “Amen!” – Deuteronomy 27:16
The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures. – Proverbs 30:17
If you’ve disrespected your parents in the past, go back and say sorry. By going back to say sorry and getting their blessings, you’ll stop many unknown sufferings in your life.
I know there are exceptions, like when we have been maltreated by our parents. However, even in such situations, we must not ascribe judgment and vengeance to ourselves. We must forgive, pray for them, and seek their blessings, not because we have not been hurt, but because we must move forward. The person who forgives actually does himself a greater good.
Honor Your Parents
How do you “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you?”
There are specific ways to honor your parents.
- By praying for them
- By caring for their needs, especially as they grow in age
- By respecting them
- By appreciating them in words and actions
- By celebrating them always
- By enduring and forgiving their mistakes and errors
- By listening to their counsels and valuing their opinions even if you’re not going to follow them.
Parental blessings are a great asset you need in life.
Bless Your Children Always
There’s an adage in my tribe that says, “It is the elder’s heart that let go for peace to reign.”
Holding grudges against your children is not good. Yes, we know, children can be insensitive. But our hearts must forgive and bless no matter what.
Children, obey your parents in everything. This pleases the Lord. Fathers, don’t upset your children. If you are too hard to please, they might want to stop trying (ERV).
Almighty Father, the maker of heaven and earth, creator of family and the home system, I come to You today with thanks. I appreciate Your wisdom in establishing the family system, through which Your purpose on earth is fulfilled. Be praised forever and ever, in Jesus name.
Today, O Lord, I thank You for my parents and guardians. I thank You for giving them the grace to bring me to this world. I thank You for enabling them to care for and protect my siblings and me over the years. Receive all the praise in Jesus name.
Dear Lord, I ask for forgiveness, in any way I have dishonored and disrespected my parents or guardians in the past. Father, I was ignorant. Please have mercy on me. You said in Psalm 30:5 says that Your anger is but for a moment, Your favor is for life; weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.
Father, in Your mercy and favor, remember me, in Jesus name.
Lord, I pray today that You heal and restore my relationship with my parents and guardians. Give me the grace to forgive them, in any way I feel they haven’t treated me right in the past.
As I take new steps to make amends with them, O Lord, may Your power prevail in our hearts, and may Your peace, love, and fear be established in our emotions once more, in Jesus name.
From this day, O Lord, I bring before the Blood of Jesus Christ every curse, negative words, and evil pronouncements from my parents, guardians, and teachers in the past. I receive deliverance from the consequences of these statements from today, in Jesus name.
Every spiritual door opened in my life, health, and family as a result of past pronouncements from my parents, guardians and teachers, O Lord, I close them today, in Jesus name.
To Read Further
Exodus 20, Deuteronomy 28
Audio Books Now Available
To See all my Over 20 Audiobooks now available, Click Here. Below are some of them specifically. I am sure that these books will bless you.
- 120 Powerful Night Prayers that Will Change Your Life
- 28 Days of Praise Challenge: Dealing With Your Fears and Battles Through Intentional Praise
- Anger Management God’s Way: Bible Ways to Control Your Emotions, Get Healed of Hurts & Respond to Offenses …Plus Powerful Daily Prayers to Overcome Bad Anger Permanently
- By His Stripes: God’s Promises & Prayers for Healing
- Deliverance of the mind: Powerful Prayers to Deal With Mind Control, Fear, Anxiety, Depression, Anger and Other Negative Emotions.
- Healing Words: Daily Confessions & Declarations to Activate Your Healing
- How God Speaks to You: An ABC Guide to Hearing the Voice of God & Following His Direction for Your Life
- How to Exercise Authority Over Sickness: Authoritative Prayers and Declarations for Personal Healing, and Healing of Your Loved Ones
- How to Meditate on God’s Word: Fast and Easy Ways to Practice Intentional Bible Meditation and Grow in Faith, Worship, and Prayer
- Prayers to Find a Godly Spouse: Meditations, Prophetic Declarations and Biblical Foundation for Finding a Life Partner
- Praying the Promises of God for Daily Blessings and Breakthrough
- Take it By Force: 200 Violent Prayers for Deliverance, Healing and Financial Breakthrough
- Under His Shadow: God’s Promises and Prayers for Protection
- When God Is Silent: What to Do When Prayers Seems Unanswered or Delayed
- Beside the Still Waters: God’s Promises and Prayers for Guidance and Direction | Learn to Know the Will of God & Make Right Decisions
- Less Panic More Hope: God’s Promises and Prayers to Overcome Fear, Anxiety, and Depression – Scriptures and Prayers for Mental Health
- How to Pray for Your Family: Plus Over 70 Prayers for Your Family’s Salvation, Healing, Restoration and Breakthrough
- Prayers that Break Curses: Everything You Need to Know About Curses, and Powerful Prayers to Stop All Kinds of Curses
- 20 Commonly Asked Questions About Demons: Answers You Need to Bind and Cast Out Demons, Heal the Sick, and Experience Breakthrough