What to Do When Praise is Difficult (Praise Your Way Day 23)
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.
We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof. For there they that carried us away captive required of us a song; and they that wasted us required of us mirth, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.
How shall we sing the Lord’s song in a strange land? – Psalm 137:1-4
There are times that we can be in situations that we don’t know how to praise God. At such times everything in us wants to murmur and complain. While it’s very easy to praise God in good times when everything is going as expected, in bad times, it’s easier to grumble and complain than praise. It is natural to cry and weep and live in anxiety.
Please understand that when we teach and advise us to concentrate on praise, we are not ignoring the reality on the ground. We are not covering the facts of what’s happening or what has happened.
Yes, the pains are still there. The issues are still nagging. But as we choose to praise, we are confronting the situations with the power of God. We are saying that “yes, this is not good, but God will make good His word. The light will shine.”
Don’t let the facts on ground rob you the opportunity to dwell in praise from your heart. Praising God genuinely is one of the most powerful ways to turn the facts into testimony.
David resolved to give thanks to God at all times.
I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. – Psalm 34:1
This doesn’t mean he had it good always. He had his share of many lows, many pains, losses and setbacks. But he chose to praise.
He was a man surrounded by enemies. From his youthful age to his old age, his life was like a precious stone in the midst of thorns. But he chose to praise. As I said earlier, he wrote over 75% of the book of Psalms, otherwise called the book of praise.
How was David able to choose praise even in the midst of so many tribulations and warfare?
1. His Heart Was Fixed On God
My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword.
Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth.
They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves.
My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise. – Psalm 57:5-7
If you read verse 7 without reading from verse 4, you may assume that he made that statement because he was reigning as king. Therefore he had no problem.
No. He wrote that Psalm in the peak of Saul’s vexation against him. He compared what he was going through to one whose soul is among hungry lions, among men with spears and sharp tongues. However, he would fix his eyes on God.
The Bible says to fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith – Not on our problems. Not on our battles. Not on our pains.
When we do, we’ll find that we have reasons to praise God, no matter what the situation is.
2. He Recognized God as His Light, His Salvation and the Strength of His Life.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? – Psalm 27:1
That’s simply saying, “Well, God is my all. I have no other person or place to turn to.”
Just as the Bible says, salvation is in no other except Jesus Christ.
If you know that, “well, God is my last bus stop,” you’ll choose praise. You’re not going to want praise because all your questions have been answered and your problems solved. You’ll accept praise because you know that God will surely save you. And that even if there are things you do not understand at the moment, you’ll understand them later.
3. He Remembered…
David remembered that God has been good to Him several times. As a young boy tending sheep in the bush, God had enabled him to kill a lion and a bear. God chose him to be king even when no one gave him a chance. He thought that if God could do so much for him in the past, He would also protect and save him, even in the very unpleasant situation he found himself.
This is the same thing we need to do. We need to remember.
If God was good to you at any time in the past, then He will not forget you now. Recall past victories and remember that God has been faithful to you in the past.
This should be a shield for you in any adversity.
If you can remember, you will see reasons to praise God.
Meditate on These Scriptures
Psalm 77:11 – I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.
1 Samuel 7:12 – Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”
Psalm 105:5 – Remember His wonders which He has done, His marvels and the judgments uttered by His mouth,
Psalm 143:5 – I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I muse on the work of Your hands.
Jonah 2:7 – “While I was fainting away, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came to You, Into Your holy temple.
Today, make a note of God’s blessings in your life in the past and present. List everything you feel you can remember that God has done in your life. It may not be easy, but it’s great to count our blessings at times.
Then bring these remembrances before the Lord and just praise and appreciate Him from your heart.
How to Participate in the Praise Your Way
- Spend 30 (or more) minutes every day in personal praise and thanksgiving. Wake up in the middle of the night and sing and praise and worship God
- Write out all your prayer requests on a paper, every present challenge or issue that needs to be settled. But instead of begging, praise God. Wave the paper before God daily in praise and drop it to the ground and dance over them.
- Pray for others. Spend 10 (or more) minutes every day to pray for others.
- No matter how pressing your personal needs are, take your eyes away from them, only praise God and intercede for others
- Whatever can inspire praise and worship in you, involve in it this month – get songs, sing, dance, worship, etc.
- Be very very watchful. God will speak to you and give you strange ideas and directions this period. Write down every new thought and revelation that God brings to your heart or through a vision or dream
- Share your praise report. Share your testimonies
- Get these recommended books: Praise Warfare and 28 Days of Praise Challenge. Get the books and any other material that will inspire your praise this month.
- For easier access to our daily and weekly prayers, subscribe here
- Like our Facebook page and share this post
- Join our Facebook Prayer Group, BreakThrough Prayers Foundation.
Audio Books Now Available
To See all my Over 20 Audiobooks now available, Click Here. Below are some of them specifically. I am sure that these books will bless you.
- 120 Powerful Night Prayers that Will Change Your Life
- 28 Days of Praise Challenge: Dealing With Your Fears and Battles Through Intentional Praise
- Anger Management God’s Way: Bible Ways to Control Your Emotions, Get Healed of Hurts & Respond to Offenses …Plus Powerful Daily Prayers to Overcome Bad Anger Permanently
- By His Stripes: God’s Promises & Prayers for Healing
- Deliverance of the mind: Powerful Prayers to Deal With Mind Control, Fear, Anxiety, Depression, Anger and Other Negative Emotions.
- Healing Words: Daily Confessions & Declarations to Activate Your Healing
- How God Speaks to You: An ABC Guide to Hearing the Voice of God & Following His Direction for Your Life
- How to Exercise Authority Over Sickness: Authoritative Prayers and Declarations for Personal Healing, and Healing of Your Loved Ones
- How to Meditate on God’s Word: Fast and Easy Ways to Practice Intentional Bible Meditation and Grow in Faith, Worship, and Prayer
- Prayers to Find a Godly Spouse: Meditations, Prophetic Declarations and Biblical Foundation for Finding a Life Partner
- Praying the Promises of God for Daily Blessings and Breakthrough
- Take it By Force: 200 Violent Prayers for Deliverance, Healing and Financial Breakthrough
- Under His Shadow: God’s Promises and Prayers for Protection
- When God Is Silent: What to Do When Prayers Seems Unanswered or Delayed
- Beside the Still Waters: God’s Promises and Prayers for Guidance and Direction | Learn to Know the Will of God & Make Right Decisions
- Less Panic More Hope: God’s Promises and Prayers to Overcome Fear, Anxiety, and Depression – Scriptures and Prayers for Mental Health
- How to Pray for Your Family: Plus Over 70 Prayers for Your Family’s Salvation, Healing, Restoration, and Breakthrough
- Prayers that Break Curses: Everything You Need to Know About Curses, and Powerful Prayers to Stop All Kinds of Curses
- 20 Commonly Asked Questions About Demons: Answers You Need to Bind and Cast Out Demons, Heal the Sick, and Experience Breakthrough